History of Bellevue

The land on which the borough currently sits was once part of the Depreciation Lands reserved for Revolutionary War veterans. The first landowners in the area were James Robinson and Hugh Henry Brackenridge, purchasing parcels in 1799 and 1792, respectively. At the time of its organization as a borough, Bellevue had exactly the minimum population for such a designation: 300 residents.

Residents of the area tried unsuccessfully to obtain improvements from Ross Township, but officials were opposed to development along Venango Trail (today Route 19). In response, Bellevue was incorporated as a borough independent of Ross on September 7, 1867. The name of the borough was chosen by J. J. East, a linguist and early resident of the borough, and means “beautiful view.”

Resources